Born: 8/23/1906, Died: 6/8/1998
Biography from the American Architects and Buildings database PAB website
in Munich, Germany, Alfred Clauss received his equivalent of a
Bachelors in Architecture from the Munich Technical Architectural
School in 1926. Clauss is reported to have worked on the famous German
Pavilion by Mies van der Rohe at the Barcelona Exposition of 1929.
After his arrival in the the United States in 1930, Clauss became a
designer with Howe & Lescaze, working on the landmark PSFS Building
at 12th and Market streets in Philadelphia. In 1931 Clauss organized
the "Salon des Refuses" for architects who found themselves excluded
from the annual Architectural League of New York exhibition; and, while
still with the Howe firm, he associated briefly with another member of
the firm George Daub in the office of Clauss & Daub, an office
which exhibited both at the "Salon des Refuses" and in the show of
Modern Architecture held at the Museum of Modern Art in New York in
1932, and immortalized in the Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip
Johnson International Style catalogue.
From 1934 to 1945 Clauss was
in Tennessee, working for the Tennessee Valley Authority as Architect
in Charge of Housing. While in Tennessee, he and his wife Jane West
Clauss collaboratively designed "Little Switzerland", a group of
slit-level houses in the suburbs of Knoxville. Before returning to
Philadelphia, he joined George Howe at Yale University, directing
thesis students. In 1948, he began working as an architectural
associate and later partner of Gilboy & O'Malley, engineers, in
Philadelphia. In 1954, the firm re-formed to establish Gilboy, Bellante
& Clauss. Within about two years, it became Bellante & Clauss.
By 1962, the firm had offices in Philadelphia, Scranton, Phoenix, AZ,
and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This firm was succeeded by Bellante,
Clauss, Miller & Nolan, architects, engineers, planners. In 1956
Clauss also opened an office under his own name in Trenton, NJ, which
later became Clauss & Nolan, architects and engineers. His wife was
a participating associate in this office. This firm and the others
appear to have operated concurrently. Clauss was at the head of the
design division of the Bellante & Clauss and its successors until
his retirement in 1981.
Clauss joined the AIA in 1946 and was
also a member of the Philadelphia Chapter, where he chaired the
yearbook, exhibition, art and architcture committees and organized the
hospitality committee for the national convention held in Philadelphia.
Written by Emily T. Cooperman, and Sandra L. Tatman.
Clauss Personal Residence
adjacent Peter Clauss house in association with father Albert Clauss
Index to MODERN HOMES PHILADELPHIA History Pages
Overview of Philadelphia Area Mid-Century Modern Residential Architecture (below on this page) Photo overview followed by brief written overview of Philadelphia mid-century architects .
Time Line of area modern homes from 1930's to today Mid-Century Modern Homes
Architects Who Designed Mid-Century Modern Homes in the Philadelphia Region
photographs of the regional homes designed by each architect are included
| © 2017 Agent Image, Inc. All rights reserved. | Terms
||Design by Agent Image - Web Site Design
|© 2017 An independently owned and operated broker member of Prudential Real Estate Affiliates, Inc., a Prudential Financial company. Prudential, the Prudential logo and the Rock symbol are service marks of Prudential Financial, Inc. and its related entities, registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Used under license. Equal Housing Opportunity
||Craig Wakefield |
763 Lancaster 19010
Direct: (267) 973-9567
Office: (610) 527-0900